Thursday, September 1, 2011

Another year bites the dust.

In accordance with many of my friends and a desire of my own, I decided I am going to celebrate my one year in Japan with an update of major events in my time here and a list of things I still have yet to do.

Since August 2010 I have:

  • Moved to a foreign country, 
  • Lived on my own, 
  • Bought and paid for a cell phone, 
  • Paid every bill, 
  • Saw more stars than I could count,
  • Decorated an apartment from the ground up, 
  • Become comfortable in my own company, 
  • Walked home drunk by myself, 
  • Danced a traditional dance to taiko drums, 
  • Seen half/mostly naked men drunkenly carry a golden shrine, 
  • Prayed to a god I did not know the name of, 
  • Got slapped by a teacher for messing up, 
  • Learned a measure of patience, 
  • Developed the ability to sit on my heels (seiza)for up to 30mins without a break, 
  • Bought a car, 
  • Got a Japanese driver's license, 
  • Applied to medical school, 
  • Seen snow and cherry blossoms,
  • Taken the MCAT entrance exam, 
  • Taken the JLPT exam, 
  • Gotten served beer by my boss to the point of being completely trashed (he was too), 
  • Watched a sumo tournament (I know this entry is a year late in coming, haha), 
  • Learned to appreciate and participate in sado, tea ceremony, 
  • Worn a kimono
  • Watched noh theatre, 
  • Eaten wild boar at a backyard BBQ, 
  • Eaten raw horse meat and blowfish, 
  • Planted rice, 
  • Biked the Shimanami kaido (entry coming soon), 
  • Trained for and completed a MARATHON and TRIATHLON, 
  • Tried judo and learned badminton, 
  • Joined my first adult sports team (then switched to different adult team ;-P), 
  • Ran my first, and more, races in taikai events throughout Kyushu, 
  • Visited Hiroshima, Nagasaki, Osaka, Tokyo, Kyoto, Miyazaki, Saga, Sasebo, Sendai, Nagoya, Shikoku and a few more prefectures and cities, 
  • Gone to a lot of drinking parties, 
  • AND enjoyed numerous festivals, sightseeing spots, and local treats. 
Goals for this year:

  • Get into medical school, 
  • Pass JLPT N2, 
  • Visit Korea, China, and a third world country, 
  • Visit my Dad in the Philippines, 
  • Do the Tokyo Marathon (in under 4.5 hours), 
  • Be a bride's maid in my friend's wedding, 
  • Do another Triathlon (maybe more than Olympic distance?), 
  • Go camping, 
  • See more of Kyushu (Mt. Aso, Takachiho gorge, Yakushima, etc.), 
  • Climb a mountain, 
  • Try kyudo
  • Eat whale (I just want to try it), 
  • Play soccer with my kids, 
  • Go to the snow festival in Hokkaido, 
  • Go skiing (did not get to go last year), 
  • Stay in a love hotel (by myself?), 
  • Keep up with my blog more, 
  • Be a better girlfriend, 
  • Move back to America. 
 That's all for now, back to planning out songs for the students to sing for the year!!!
 Love.

No comments:

Post a Comment