Thursday, August 19, 2010

Volleyball anyone?

Work has been interesting this week. Tuesday I ended up not being able to join judo because I didn't have any gi - judo clothes, and it turns out you can't play without it so I ended up just watching. It was a lot of fun to watch and I got to meet Tree village (I can't abbreviate him K since I already have one so Tree village it is!) sensei who works at one of S's junior high schools and teaches Japanese. He was really nice and chatted with me while we watched judo together. I couldn't believe it when he actually told me my Japanese pronunciation was really very good. Coming from a Japanese teacher this is a huge compliment and while most Japanese people freak as soon as they hear konnichiwa come out of my mouth it is not typical for someone to immediately comment on something as specific as pronunciation. This is my way of assuring myself it was a legitimate compliment :-X. No crushing my dreams! Lol. 

Turns out Tree village sensei is a 42 year old Buddhist priest with 2 children and he actually does kendo as a hobby but was selected to be a judo coach. Oh Japan. Not to mention he looks like he could pass for 26. I wish I had Asian genes!!

The rest of the afternoon was spent as it so often is for me here - reading. I am really catching up on my books which is kind of nice because I didn't get to read much at all the last year of college so there is plenty to catch up on. Was offered a ride home by Ms. T (my supervisor at the middle school and also one of the English teachers) who decided to take me and another teacher out to dinner at the Italian restaurant I had frequented over the weekend with B. It was a lot of fun and I was so happy they were willing to include me! Then I met with K because she wanted to use my computer since hers crashed (SUCKS!) Quiet night at home playing video games :-)

Wednesday I joined the volleyball club. They basically kicked my ass and I wound up bruised and broken all over while they left me suffering today with sore muscles on pretty much every part of my body. Is it sad I can't wait to go back? But because of the soreness and probably pity, K offered to take me to the hot spring with her here in town. It was surprising relaxing sitting with 25 local townswomen naked in a scorching hot pool. I felt better - at least until this morning. So after sports I hung out around the office until normal time (cleaning up pictures on my computer mostly) and went home with Mr. M who does judo with K (this abbreviation thing is started to get annoying - any suggestions?). 

Today I was so happy to have a slow and pretty much half day considering I had trouble simply walking. I went to my first elementary school which sports a whooping 22 students and did my first actual teacher activity - a mock lesson in front of the staff. The teacher I worked with (Mr. Y) actually lived in Zimbabwe for a few years teaching music so his English was not bad in the least. He's also a great and energetic teacher which I imagine is very important for elementary students. The school is very old and in the middle of rice fields in the most boonie area I have been to yet, by the way. they even have their own shrine right outside! Got to go home around 1:30 and just hung out most of the afternoon until 6:45ish when I met K for my first eikaiwa - English conversation class. It was a lot of fun and all older people (the oldest of whom is in his 70s!!) who wanted to just practice English once a week. They invited me back so maybe I will go next week? We'll see what K says since it's her thing and I don't want to intrude. 


So yeah, good week so far! Tomorrow is our regional welcome party and I also beginning training for a marathon. A marathon you say?! Yes, some of you - most of you - probably don't know that doing a marathon has been on my bucket list for years and when K asked me I jumped at the opportunity (most likely surprising her since I don't think she expected me to say yes). So training begins tomorrow (healed muscles or no) and hopefully since I have so damn much free time and someone to train with it will actually happen this time. Wish me luck? I'll need all the help I can get! Hopefully I won't die doing this 4K tomorrow but we shall see. 

Love and good night everyone! Oh, random sunset outside my apartment - you know I love sunsets :-)
PS - Who could resist the GATOR COLORS!!


3 comments:

  1. Awesome sunset pictures! I like how one is so dark on one side! =] Go Gators!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you can do it!!
    xueying
    P.S. I agree with the initials, I can barely follow it >__< how about colors? they are more easily visualized--> remembered

    ReplyDelete
  3. I`m loving reading your stories and seeing your pictures!! :)

    As far as naming conventions, why not try nicknames? Directly translating Japanese names into English is one method, or you could pick and adjective, color, or profession that characterizes the person. (For instance, a buff gym teacher could be Muscles)

    Hope you`re doing well :D

    ReplyDelete