Friday, August 6, 2010

And so it begins

...life in Japan. It is kind of crazy actually. I went walking home from the grocery store about 20 minutes ago and it is pitch black, no streetlights, stars everywhere - and no people out. This will be my life I guess. Let me update you on what has happened the last couple of days. So I left Tokyo in a rush and got picked up at the airport by my supervisor, two colleagues and R (the JET finished her 5th years and is leaving - reluctantly). They took me and S out to lunch and then in a flurry of activity we were rushed off to meet the superintendent (head of the board of education), the mayor and do an interview for the TV and newspaper. I actually have a copy of the news article! It had a picture and everything and considering I have never been in a newspaper before it was kind of exciting. Especially since I was quoted in a very long paragraph about my first impression of the city and the sights whereas S (who actually spent a majority of the time speaking) was left with a mere sentence introduction. I felt kind of bad and he keeps making jokes about it so I hope it isn't bothering him ><.

Watching Japanese TV right now which is a whole culture in and of itself. A little more about my life here I guess. I got a bank account opened, a cell phone and registered for my alien residence card. As soon as I get this card (hopefully next week) I can get car insurance and then I can start driving the car.

It is gorgeous here. I am surrounded by huge hills covered in trees and my apartment is nice. It is ridiculously hot though and I am afraid to use the AC because of what I have been told about the bill being crazy expensive. I have spent so much money getting set up because there was only a fridge, toilet, washing machine, TV, mirror and a few shelves and a shower here when I moved in. I had to buy a stove-top, toaster oven, fan (most necessary in fact), bed, hangers, stuff for hanging clothes outside, utensils, cooking stuff (pans and spoons and stuff), towels, toiletries... ugh the list goes on. Total being around $1,500 so far. Guess JET knows what they are doing when they say to bring a bunch of money to get set up with. I even bought a router so I can get wireless in the apartment. I actually had internet as soon as I arrived because my landlord (who might actually be a part of the Japanese mafia) has connections everywhere and got it set up for me.

My supervisor is quite nice. The first night he took me and S and R out to dinner with another colleague and we all got quite drunk and just had a jolly merry time. He wouldn't let us split the bill which was rather depressing but it was quite fun nonetheless. I guess only in Japan can, on your first day of work, you go out drinking and subsequently get drunk with your new supervisor.

Here's some pictures of my view, both from my apartment and from work. There is also a picture of the Kitsuki castle which I went to see today along with Samurai town which are the main attractions of our city. Next update I will add more about it since I am quite tired. Good night and love!

BOE Office - 

My apartment backyard -
 
 The Kitsuki Castle - 

1 comment: