Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Day 2

Well, I am excited to say I maintained my daily updates so far :-P. I got my JET packet in the mail yesterday but only skimmed it because I was tired - it had been a really long day at the hospital.

Speaking of which, this JET thing has got me thinking about what can happen in a year. My great grandmother is trying to scare me into not going by threatening to die during the time I am gone. While this is always a possibility (she's 90 years old), I know that she is in very good health and her and my great grandfather (who's 98!!) still have a few years left at least. But it is not those two I am really concerned about. Doing Streetlight has enabled me to meet a lot of really amazing people, both young and old, and some of them may not last the year. I was talking to one of the other volunteers about it last night and I started thinking about how my friend A may not be there when I get back. I may not be able to go to her funeral or hug her again... This job is so much more for me than taking the first step toward adulthood or a vacation from school - it's the first of many real goodbyes. I honestly don't know how ready I am for that...

Thinking back on the few short years I have been cognizant on the planet - high school was the only time I have really had to say goodbye to people who I knew I would never see again - save the deaths I have encountered. Of those people, while I had spent four years with them and built friendships and a relationship over that time, I speak to few and only occasionally. This is not for lack of trying, but we had moved apart in many ways and those with whom I still share a connection are in the same position I am now, trying to sort out life and saying goodbyes to college friends and entering adulthood. This will be the first time of many when I will say goodbye to people I truly care about and hope and pray (assuming someone is listening) our paths will cross again someday.

Sorry this has been a little emotionally weighted but I have a lot on my mind about the whole process and while I am concerned and scared, I am at the same time anxious and exhilarated.

Back to the main point on the blog - JET. The packet contained a beginner's Japanese guide which is meant to assist those people who have never studied Japanese. I doubt it will do much for me but you never know. I really enjoyed seeing the hiragana poster which could be removed and placed on a wall for more intense viewing. :-). There was also a packet explaining in detail my life insurance policy and detailed explanations about how much coverage I get for any possible injury. I think I will have to go through it with my parents though because I didn't make it very far on my own before I got lost in lawyer speak. The last item is an information guide. It also has an included video which I guess some of my fellow JETs already watched. (We have an email listserv and they were talking about it there). I might try to watch it tonight if I get in the mood. The book is really informative particularly concerning crazy ass luggage restrictions. Not to mention apparently when we arrive in Tokyo for our orientation we will receive over 11 pounds of paper?!?! Amy decided this was composed of the JET bowling ball and/or JET brick rather than paper. Regardless, reading things like that really hit home.

I should really be getting back to work. The boss probably thinks I am a total slacker lately since I have just been on the computer doing research into professional schools, JET and crime in Japan for the past week. Oh well.

Love.

No comments:

Post a Comment