Sunday, May 16, 2010

Reflection

Man this has gotten emo! I never intended to only talk about the negative feelings I have been having in association with this big life step. I don't talk nearly enough about how excited I am to make this journey. I have been talking with a friend on facebook lately and she said something really insightful in regards to the big travel decision we are both making. "I guess attacking a whole new situation is always a bit stressful, even if you know you're going to have a blast. I mean, I've done crazy things before, and mostly they've turned out to be fantastic opportunities that i didn't even know were lurking around. So hopefully, this will be the same. Maybe the scary part is giving it up to gut decisions, or instincts? Intuition says hell yes, its the stupid thinking brain that's saying hold on. Figuring out which one to trust is harder."

She is absolutely right. My mom mentioned while I was visiting home that I was much more nervous about my first trip to Japan back when I was 17 prior to my 6 week homestay. I had a blast though! As soon as I got there all fear and apprehension yielded to excitement and amazement at the new environment. Yeah I got homesick and sad and I kept a journal throughout the whole adventure which I reflect on sometimes when I get nostalgic. But those feelings were so shallow and under them were so many more positive emotions. Thinking about this, blogging about so much negativity, while therapeutic, may not be the whole story. So those of you reading these emo posts know that I am actually very excited and enthusiastic about JET.

Hopefully I will have an update soon about where I will be going.

Love.

PS - I moved the side post of JET updates to here because I wanted to remove the long thread. Every week or so I will probably do this.

Joe got his information packet in the mail yesterday. Three big thick books they already warned us would be boring and dry. Said we should read every word of it though... Here comes the horror stories to give JETzilla some real power.

I got mine in the mail too and already asked Joe to make me a copy of his Japanese language book since his assumes you are already a capable speaker.

Joe says the video is really entertaining except for the crazy narrator who is apparently homosexual?

I agree - the narrator is homosexual to the extreme!!

New problem - clothing and shoes. I have never had to dress dressy before! EEck!!

1 comment:

  1. That's good if the narrator is gay! Japan needs to open itself up to the minorities that exist within it.

    ReplyDelete